A while ago I had written a blog post Microsoft Test Manager Test Case Versioning on how to manage Test Cases over multiple releases
which required you to manually copy test cases individually.
Now there is a tool to help with the bulk copying of Test Cases and updates the Iteration field at the same time. In the example below I am copying my Test Cases from Iteration 1 to Iteration 2.
Click here to download the tool Bulk Copy Test Cases Tool
- Click on Connect to TFS Team Project
- Select Project Collection and Team Project
- Find Query (e.g. "Test Cases Iteration 1")
- Double-click to Run Query
- The Query Results will display on the right
- Select Options
- Copy Links - When the option is checked the tool will copy links. When the option is unchecked the tool will not copy links.
- Copy Attachments - When the option is checked the tool will copy attachments. When the option is unchecked the tool will not copy attachments.
- Select Target Iteration for the release you would like to copy the test cases to (e.g. "Iteration 2)
- Click Copy Test Cases
- You will then receive a confirmation "Completed Copying Test Cases"
- Now I have copied all the Test Cases I need for Iteration 2
- When you create a query for Test Cases Iteration 2 you will see
- A newly generated Work Item ID
- The Iteration Path has been updated to Target Iteration
Application Lifecycle Management Consultant